Resolutions & The New Year

January 07, 2013

It is one week into a new year, by which time we have been sent into a frenzy of change and improvement, and most of us have made resolutions. Equally, a lot of us have broken them. This year I am not going to make any for several reasons.



I don't think that the 1st January 2013 is a significant enough date to convince me and motivate me to change something about my life or myself. Doing anything that would require change takes a lot of thought and can be most successful with good timing, but rushing a decision in time for the new year, without considering how I aim to accomplish it, would make it hard to achieve. 


Making a resolution doesn't have to be to make a drastic change, but surely if it wasn't in some way difficult or hard work then it could be easily done. What I'm saying is that there is little point in setting myself a resolution to do my laundry just in order for it to succeed.


I'm not saying that you shouldn't make a resolution just because it might fail leaving you feeling futile and hopeless for the following year, but feeling negative so early on is surely detrimental.


Equally I wouldn't deny that the New Year can be a time to reflect upon the previous year and to feel inspired and excited for the next.


So here are some (very obvious) tips if you are wanting to learn how to suck eggs making resolutions in the hope of getting fitter or healthier:


  • Set yourself accomplishable goals
  • Eat enough so that you don't feel the need to overindulge.
  • Do, in reason and sensibly, give way to cravings.
  • Go to fitness classes, (which have a set time) if convincing yourself to go to the gym at an unspecified time is difficult.
  • Do exercise that you enjoy, and eat healthy food that you actually like. 


Be happy and optimistic and don't stress about your resolutions, but think about them as a guide for the direction in which you would like your following year to follow.


As I said, I don't think I will make resolutions per se, but rather targets and goals. I think the new year does offer a  sense of the new, a sense of the achievable, and a sense of inspiration.


So I will leave you with a few inspiring quotes which are relevant to me or that I hope will guide me a little:


“I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them.” 
 Oscar WildeThe Picture of Dorian Gray



“Your 20’s are your ‘selfish’ years. It’s a decade to immerse yourself in every single thing possible. Be selfish with your time, and all the aspects of you. Tinker with shit, travel, explore, love a lot, love a little, and never touch the ground.”
Kyoko Escamilla

"She believed she could so she did."


"Don't chase people. Be you, do your own thing and work hard. The right people who belong in your life will come to you and stay."




Happy New Year!

8 comments:

  1. what a lovely inspirational post :) I made a handful of resolutions that are more goals than vague notions towards success.
    Poppy @ lets drive far away x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Poppy, I was feeling very inspired at the time!
      Yes, goals are always good and normally more realistic. Good luck with yours :) X

      Delete
  2. oh, i love that post!!! thank you for sharing
    happy new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah, I'm glad you did :) I hope you have a wonderful year! X

      Delete
  3. Love the inspirational quotes! x

    at-rubik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this as it's exactly how I feel about New Year Resolutions. I haven't made any this year for similar reasons, and your advice on health and fitness is just what I always say to my mum and others who are always banging on about changing their diet and lifsetyle! Great minds ey? (; xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad you agree. I think if you challenge yourself throughout the year there's little need, and, in fact, it yields more success than a resolution at the beginning that will be broken and then forgotten until the following January. Great minds indeed! X

      Delete